Your belly button (navel) hosts over 2,000 different bacteria species that are otherwise beneficial. Even so, its shape (cavity) puts it at risk of infection considering that the cavity always remains dump and warm.
Belly button infection can be caused by bacteria, fungi, and cyst. There are also risk factors that expose it to infection. These include being diabetic, poor hygiene, piercings, obesity, pregnancy, tight clothing, abdominal surgery and frequent touching of the button, which can introduce germs into the cavity.
Infection of the belly button can cause serious problems when left untreated. Although there are conventional medications that you can use to treat the belly button, there are also many home remedies that you can use to treat such infection.
Home Remedies for Belly Button Infections
1. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is used as home remedy for treating many ailments. This is simply because it has powerful antimicrobial, antiseptic and antibacterial properties.
- Dilute a small amount of tea tree oil with coconut oil.
- Apply the resultant mixture on the navel using a cotton ball at least twice every day to clear any infection.
Turmeric powder has antifungal, antibacterial and antibacterial properties. This is one reason why it is used to treat varied ailments.
- Consider mixing turmeric powder with a reasonable amount of water.
- Stir the mixture to form a paste.
- Apply the paste on the navel and let it rest until it dries before cleaning the paste off. Do this at least once per day until the infection clears.
Neem is very rich in antibacterial properties. It is very effective in cleaning the skin of any harmful bacteria.
- You may use Neem powder or crush Neem leave to obtain a paste.
- Apply either the powder or paste on your navel. Let it rest for some time before cleaning it off. Do this once per day until the infection clears off.
4. Aloe Vera Juice
Fresh Aloe Vera juice is a remedy for various ailments. In addition to having powerful antibacterial properties, Aloe Vera juice soothes and nourishes the skin.
Apply the juice directly on your belly button using a cotton ball. Leave it on for several minutes before cleaning. Do this at least twice per day until the infection clears.
5. White Vinegar
White vinegar has powerful antibacterial properties. It is very effective in treating various infections caused by bacteria.
- Mix a reasonable amount of white vinegar with warm water to form a paste.
- Apply the paste to your navel using a cotton ball.
- Allow the paste to rest for at least 10 minutes before cleaning. Do this at least once per day until the infection clears.
6. Baking Soda
Baking Soda has antibacterial properties. It is also very effective as a pH regulator, which is good for the belly button.
- Mix a reasonable amount of baking soda with water to form a paste.
- Apply the paste to the navel and allow it to soak in before cleaning. Do this at least once per day until the infection clears.
7. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has both antibacterial and antifungal properties and therefore very effective in treating various skin infections including of the belly button.
Apply a reasonable amount of the oil on your navel using a cotton ball every day in the morning. Leave it on for the rest of the day and clean in the evening before applying fresh oil again. Do this ever day until the infection clears.
8. Salty Water
Salt is a powerful disinfectant. Applying salt to your belly button also enhances the flow of blood within.
- Add a reasonable amount of salt to warm water.
- Stir the solution until the salt dissolves completely.
- Apply the solution your belly button and let it dry to clean in the evening. Do this at least once every day until the infection clears.
9. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is a very good natural antiseptic.
- Consider applying pure lavender oil on your navel using a cotton ball.
- Leave it on to clean in the evening before applying it again for the night.
- Do this for a few days and any infection on the belly button will clear.
10. Calendula Juice
Fresh calendula juice contains both antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. Applying the juice on your belly button helps in treating an infection.
- Crush calendula leaves or flowers to obtain the juice.
- Apply the juice to your navel using a cotton ball.
- Leave it on to clean in the evening before applying it again for the night. Do this until the infection clears.
You can have an infection in your belly button at any time. The secret to treating any belly button infection is to do so the moment you realize that you have an infection. It is also important to stop any infection of the navel and the above remedies are also very effective in preventing infections.