Do you have a cold? Feeling miserable? You are not alone! The combination of chills, fever, nasal congestion and body aches is enough to make anyone wretched. However, the good news is that there are plenty of home remedies that can help in alleviating your symptoms and making you feel normal once more. These treatments are natural and safe, and let us not forget, effective. Check out these tried-and-true home remedies to get rid of that nasty cold you have.
Are you suffering from a painful sore throat apart from the other symptoms of a cold? Well, cinnamon is just what you need. This spice can combat a common cold and also help in easing the pain that comes with a sore or dry throat.
- Boil a glass of water and add 1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder and 2 cloves.
- Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Strain the liquid and drink while it is still warm. Add some honey for even better results.
- Drink this tea 1 to 3 times a day.
- If you prefer, you can also consume a mixture of a few drops of cinnamon bark oil and honey.
When it comes to effectively treating the various symptoms of a common cold, nothing works quite as well as pepper. The spice contains capsaicin which helps in thinning the mucus and gives you significant relief from congestion.
- If a runny nose is one of the symptoms that you are suffering from, add some pepper to your food when you eat a meal.
- Another remedy is to gargle with a mixture of warm water and 1 teaspoon of black pepper.
- If for some reason you are unable to use these remedies, smelling pepper throughout the day will still give you many benefits and get rid of that embarrassing runny nose.
If you are suffering from the common cold and its related symptoms, ginger is one of the best natural treatments. It has antiviral, anti-inflammatory and expectorant properties that make it super-effective against the common cold.
- Drink ginger tea and eat raw ginger throughout the day. To boost the effectiveness of ginger tea, add some honey and fresh lemon juice to it.
- Another great remedy is a paste made with ginger, salt and cloves. Eat half a teaspoon of this paste 2 times a day until the symptoms are gone.
- If you have a runny nose, mix equal parts of dry ginger powder, jaggery and clarified butter. Consume the mixture every morning on an empty stomach until you find relief.
4. Chicken Soup
While it may not be a cure-all, chicken soup is always an excellent choice when you are sick. According to research, a bowl of chicken soup with vegetables can slow the movement of a common type of white blood cell called neutrophils, which protect the body from infection. When their movement is slowed, they stay more concentrated in the parts of the body that need more healing. Additionally, chicken soup contains essential nutrients and antioxidants that treat the symptoms of cold and speed up the healing process. It also boosts immunity and restores strength in your body.
- Make homemade chicken soup with organic chicken and vegetables.
- You can also canned chicken soup – just make sure that it is low-sodium soup.
5. Spice Tea
A highly effective Ayurvedic remedy, spice tea helps in quickly getting rid of the common cold and its associated symptoms. It is easy to prepare and works amazingly well.
- Dry roast and grind 1 ½ tablespoons each of fennel and cumin seeds, 1/4 cup of coriander seeds and 1/4 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds.
- Boil a cup of water and add 1 ½ tablespoon of the spice mixture and 1 ½ teaspoon of rock candy.
- Let it simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of milk.
- Bring to a boil and then strain it.
- Sip the tea slowly while it is hot.
- Drink the tea every day until you get relief from the symptoms.
6. Red Onion
Did you know that you can make homemade red onion syrup? And that it is actually really effective in fighting the common cold? Onion has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties and honey works wonders in healing a sore throat. Together, they make a super-remedy for cold. This syrup is easy to make and once you take it, you will gain relief from irritating cold symptoms before you know it.
- First, slice 2 to 3 red onions horizontally.
- Place 1 slice of onion in a bowl and add raw honey on top. Repeat until you have filled the bowl.
- Cover the bowl and leave the onion/honey stack for 12 to 15 hours. There will be thick liquid-like syrup when you open the bowl.
- Drink 1 tablespoon of the syrup several times a day. You will get relief from sore throat and other symptoms of a cold.
7. Mullein Tea
When you have a cold, it is important to drink plenty of fluids. You should include a hot cup of mullein tea among the fluids you drink. It works wonders in treating a cold and its symptoms. It has expectorant properties that can help in relieving chest congestion that often comes with a cold.
- First of all, fill a strainer with dried mullein herb and place it in a cup of boiling hot water for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add a little bit of honey to the tea and drink it 2 to 3 times a day. You will notice a relief from symptoms in just a few days.
As you can see, there are many home remedies that you can use to treat the common cold. Why waste money on medications that do not work when you have safe and natural treatments that effectively relieve the many symptoms of a cold? The next time you catch a cold, try out these remedies. However, if the symptoms still persist after a few weeks, you should make an appointment with your doctor and find out why your cold is taking so long to go.