Acne scars are the visible signs that remain on your skin after suffering from acne. Acne damages both the skin and the underlying tissue. Treating acne prompts your body to repair damaged tissue, in which case it produces collagen. Production of either too low or too much collagen is what leads to the development of scars.
Luckily, you can effectively make use of home remedies to remove acne scars. Some of the remedies have been used for centuries to treat various skin conditions.
Home Remedies to Remove & Lighten Acne Scars
The combination of honey and oatmeal yields a powerful remedy that is effective in treating various skin conditions including acne scars. The two contain powerful antibacterial properties that help to eliminate any bacteria on your skin. Oatmeal also acts to exfoliate the skin, making it possible for you to have a smooth skin without any blemishes.
- Measure 5 spoonfuls of oatmeal into a cup.
- Add 2 spoonfuls of honey into the cup and mix thoroughly to form a thick paste.
- You may need to add more honey just in case the mixture is too thick.
- Apply the paste to acne scars and leave it on for at least 30 minutes before washing with warm water. Do this once daily for a week to remove acne scars.
2. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is powerful bleach and an antioxidant. It contains vitamin C, which acts to rebuild collagen. Its acidic nature is also very helpful in lightening acne scars.
Note : Lemon juice due to its acidic nature can cause irritation to some. Before using it do a sensitivity check on a smaller area. Wash it off with water if your skin is too sensitive and you can’t wait for 30 minutes.
- Get a ripe lemon fruit and cut it into two pieces.
- Squeeze the pieces into a glass to obtain the juice.
- Strain the juice to obtain a clear juice. Use a piece of cotton wool to apply the juice directly on acne scars.
- Leave the juice on for at least 30 minutes before washing it off. You may also choose to apply it before going to bed to leave it on overnight.
3. Olive Oil
Applying Olive Oil serves your skin good. It is rich in vitamins A, D, E, B1, and B2. It also contains traces of iron. Furthermore, it is a powerful antioxidant that serves to reduce any inflammation on your skin.
- Apply Olive Oil on your facial skin with your hands.
- Massage the oil all over your face while focusing in areas with acne scars.
- Dip a towel in warm water, squeeze out the water and place the towel on your face.
- The heat from the towel serves to release the nutrients in the oil to penetrate your skin.
- Leave the towel on for at least 10 minutes before removing it and washing your face. Do this daily for at least a week to remove acne scars.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera contains vital nutrients that help to encourage the development of new skin without blemish.
- Get a fresh leaf of Aloe Vera. Cut it vertically into two halves.
- Place the two parts in such a way that the gel flows into a clean bowl.
- Apply the gel to acne scars directly.
- Leave it on for at least 20 minutes before washing it off. You may also choose to apply it before going to bed. Do this daily for at least a week to remove acne scars.
5. Tomato Juice
Tomato juice contains vital nutrients that are very good for your skin. The nutrients are very helpful in promoting the growth of new skin, a process that naturally gets rid of acne scars.
- Obtain a ripe tomato. Dip it in warm water to make the skin soft.
- Peel off the skin and pound the remaining tomato to form a pulp.
- Sieve the pulp to obtain tomato juice.
- Use a cotton wool to apply the juice on your facial skin.
- Leave the juice on for at least 20 minutes before washing your face. Do this daily for a week to get rid of acne scars.
6. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a very powerful exfoliating agent. Using baking soda is an effective way of removing dead skin from your facial skin, which makes it possible for acne scars to clear off.
- Measure two spoonfuls of baking soda and add this to half a cup of clean water.
- Stir to form a paste. Massage your facial skin using the paste for at least 10 minutes.
- Leave it on for a further 10 minutes before washing it off before moisturizing the facial skin with either coconut or olive oil. Do this daily for at least a week to remove acne scars.
7. Tea Tree Oil
Tea Tree Oil is one of the most powerful home remedies for treating acne. It is also very good in removing resultant acne scars. It is an antiseptic, antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal agent. It is also a very powerful anti-inflammatory agent.
- Measure 3 spoonfuls of Tea Tree Oil into a cup.
- Add 1 spoonful of water and stir to dilute the oil.
- Use a piece of cotton wool to apply the solution to acne scars to remove them. Do this daily for at least a week to effectively get rid of acne scars.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
This is a powerful antiseptic agent. It also serves to balance pH level on the skin. It is one of the best home remedies for acne scars that you can find.
- Measure 2 spoonfuls of Apple cider vinegar into a cup.
- Add 2 spoonfuls of clean water into the cup and stir to form a smooth paste.
- Use a piece of cotton wool to apply the paste on acne scars. Leave the paste on for at least 10 minutes before washing it off. Do this every day for at least a week to remove acne scars.
These are powerful home remedies that are very effective in removing acne scars. They are also widely used to treat varied skin diseases and conditions. You should be able to find one or several in your locality.