Having the common house flies around your home can be very irritating. Most importantly, they turn out to be carriers of disease-causing germs. Having house flies around literally puts you at risk of several dangerous diseases such as cholera, typhoid, and diarrhea among others. So its important that you keep your house clean from flies.
You are not restricted to using conventional means to get rid of flies at home. There are several remedies that are not only easy to use but also very affordable.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Flies naturally get attracted by smell or odor especially the smell of fruits. You can effectively use apple cider vinegar to get rid of flies.
- Place the jar in an open place where flies can access it with ease.
- Place the funnel on top before sitting down to watch the drama as flies come into the jar to get trapped within.
The best time to use this remedy is during the day at a time when flies are common. You can easily eliminate all flies at home by using this simple remedy.
2. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is a very powerful insect repellant. It has been traditionally used to protect clothing from insects including flies.
- Have a reasonable amount of lavender oil in a bowl.
- Dip a piece of cloth in the oil before placing the cloth in a jar.
- Close the jar with a lid and let it remain closed overnight. Remove the lid the following day when flies are common. The oil will now release an intense smell that will cause all flies around to flee.
Cloves have an aromatic smell that otherwise serves to repel flies. Lemon too releases a scent that is not attractive to flies.
- Get two ripe lemons.
- Cut them into halves before placing them on a plate.
- Poke several cloves into the pieces with the tip of cloves going deep into the flesh of lemon pieces. The two will produce an appealing scent that otherwise repels all flies around.
4. Lemongrass Oil
Flies hate the scent of lemongrass. This makes lemongrass one of the most powerful home remedies available for getting rid of flies at home.
- Pour a reasonable amount of lemongrass oil into your regular bottle spray.
- Boil a small amount of water and add it to the spray.
- Shake the mixture before spraying it around especially around windows and doors. In addition to expelling all flies around, your rooms will have a pleasant scent.
Any type of wine is very effective in trapping flies. Although buying wine to use as a remedy has its cost, the benefit of getting rid of flies outweighs the cost.
- Pour a small amount of dish-washing liquid into a bowl.
- Add a small amount of wine.
- The fermented scent of wine will naturally attract all the flies around. They will get trapped and will not be able to escape.
Flies generally do not like scent from herbs. This makes herbs very effective repellants that you can use to get rid of flies at home. Consider making use of such herbs as basil, mint, rue, bay leaf and lavender.
- Place the leaves of any of any herb in a cloth or in small bags.
- Place the cloth or the bags in areas where flies are usually common. No fly will come around.
The combination of sugar forms a very effective trap that will address all flies around your home. While the use of sugar and milk serve to attract flies through scent and color respectively, use of pepper serves to kill the flies.
- Pour a reasonable amount of milk in a bowl.
- Add sugar and pepper to the milk and stir the mix to form a uniform solution.
- Cover the bowl and let the mixture settle for about 20 minutes.
- Place the bowl in an open place. Sit and watch as flies come into the bow, get trapped and killed.
8. Plastic Bag
For unknown reasons, clear plastic bags filled with water serve to prevent flies from coming into a room. While some people present the view that flies perceive plastic bags filled with water to be a spider web, others are of the opinion that water in the bag produces reflections, something that flies hate.
- Get a large plastic bag that is clear.
- Fill it with water before tying the mouth.
- Hang the bag or bags on your windows and doors. No fly will enter your home.
These are just a few of the many home remedies that you can use to get rid of flies at home in a natural way. For remedies that trap flies, it is important you dispose off trapped flies in a healthy way.