Cracked heels are what are medically referred to as heel fissures. They appear as cracks on your heels and can go deep when ignored and can be a cause of pain. The appearance of the cracks is normally on the rim of the feet.
There are varied reasons why you may develop cracked heels. They include persistent dehydration, prolonged working hours while standing, obesity, wearing of open shoes that cause fat in the heel to expand, being diabetic, skin conditions such as eczema, and cold period such as during winter.
Although having cracked heels is a problem in itself, bacteria and fungi can also get into the cracks to cause secondary infections. It is, therefore, necessary that you address cracked heels from the moment they start appearing. Luckily, various home remedies that are effective in removing cracked heels are readily available.
1. Natural Oils
Natural oils including sesame, olive, and coconut oils are very effective in removing cracked heels. They contain powerful antibacterial and anti-fungal properties that help in eliminating any disease-causing germs that can worsen cracked heels. They also help to hydrate the skin, making it possible for the cracks to disappear.
- Soak your feet in warm soapy water.
- Scrub the rims of your heels to remove dead skin before drying your feet with a clean towel.
- Apply any natural oil that you have to cover the whole of your feet. Put on a pair of socks for your feet to absorb both the oil and the nutrients.
The best time to do this is before going to bed considering that your heels will be at rest during the night. Do this for at least a fortnight to clear cracked heels completely.
2. Epsom Salt/Sea Salt
Both Epsom and Sea salt are very effective in eliminating cracked heels. They not only enhance the flow of blood in your heels but also help in moisturizing your heels, which goes a long way to get rid of cracked heels.
- Consider adding either Epsom or Sea salt to a reasonable amount of water.
- Boil the water to release all the ingredients in the salt into the water.
- Remove the water from fire and let it cool. Soak your feet in the warm water before scrubbing with a pumice stone. Apply any natural oil available before putting on a pair of socks.
The best time to do this is before going to bed, which makes it possible for your heels to absorb all the benefits to heal. Do this for at least a fortnight for best results.
3. Ripe Bananas
Ripe bananas are rich in varied minerals and vitamins that help in eliminating cracked heels. Furthermore, ripe bananas also help to moisturize the skin, making it possible for cracked heels to heal.
- Mash at least two ripe bananas in a clean bowl to form a smooth banana paste.
- Dip your feet in warm soapy water and scrub to remove dead skin.
- Dry your feet with a clean towel before applying the banana paste. Leave the paste on for at least 15 minutes for the skin to absorb all the benefits. Wash your feet before drying and applying any natural oil. Do this for at least a week to get rid of cracked heels.
4. Rice Flour/Vinegar/Honey
Leaving dead skin on your heels can worsen cracked heels. Exfoliating the skin removes dead skin, which helps to heal cracked heels.
- Mix a handful of rice flour with a spoonful of honey and apple cider vinegar.
- Stir the mixture to obtain a smooth paste. Soak your feet in warm soapy water for at least 15 minutes before scrubbing with the paste.
- Clean your feet and dry with a towel before applying any natural oil. Put on a pair of socks for the night.
Do this every day before going to bed for a week to get rid of cracked heels.
You can easily use honey to treat cracked heels. Honey has powerful antibacterial properties that are very effective in eliminating any bacteria that may be in the cracks. It is also a good moisturizer that helps to keep your feet soft.
- Add a cup of pure honey to a reasonable amount of warm water in a basis.
- Stir the solution before soaking your feet in it for at least 15 minutes.
- Clean your feet before drying with a towel and applying any natural oil and putting on a pair of socks. Do this for at least a week to treat cracked heels.
The leaves of Neem tree have traditionally been used to treat varied skin conditions. This is because the leaves contain over 40 minerals and compounds that not only help in treating cracked leaves but also helpful in killing any bacteria or fungi.
- Crush a handful of Neem tree leaves to form a paste.
- Soak your feet in warm soapy water for about 10 minutes before drying with a towel.
- Apply the paste on your heels and the rest of your feet.
- Leave the paste on for at least 20 minutes before cleaning and applying any natural oil. Put on a pair of socks. The best time to do this is before going to bed. Do this for at least a week to get rid of cracked heels.
7. Petroleum Jelly
The regular petroleum jelly is good at treating various skin conditions including cracked heels. It is also one of the best moisturizers you can find.
- Soak your feet in warm soapy water.
- Scrub the heels using either ordinary salt or sugar to exfoliate dead skin.
- Clean your feet before drying with a towel and applying petroleum jelly.
- Put on a pair of socks and let your heels rest to absorb all the benefits for the cracks to heal.
8. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is a powerful home remedy that is effective in treating various conditions. It contains vitamin C, which helps to kill most germs. The acidic property available in the juice also helps to moisturize the skin.
- Mix lemon juice with a reasonable amount of warm water.
- Soak your feet in the solution and scrub using pumice stone to remove dead skin in order to allow your heels to absorb the beneficial ingredient. Do this for about a week to heal any cracks on your heels.
9. Paraffin Wax
Paraffin wax is very effective in treating cracked heels. It is a natural emollient that acts to moisturize and soften the skin, making it possible for cracked heels to heal.
- Melt a block of the wax before adding a spoonful of any of natural oil and honey.
- Allow the mixture to cool before soaking your feet in it.
- Let your feet rest in the mixture until layers of wax form on your feet. Cover your feet with a clean cloth for at least 30 minutes before washing off the wax.
Do this every day for a week to get rid of cracked heels.
While glycerin is very effective in moisturizing the skin, Rose water is rich in vitamins A, B3, C, D and E. It is also a powerful antioxidant and is both an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory agent. Using both effectively gets rid of cracked heels within a week.
- Mix the two in equal amounts.
- Soak your feet in warm soapy water and scrub to remove dead skin.
- Dry your feet with a towel before applying the mixture. Put on a pair of socks for the night.
Do this every day for a week to treat cracked heels completely.
Cracked heels can not only be unsightly, they can be very painful as well. The presence of cracked heels also puts your feet at risk of diseases. You can use any or combinations of the above remedies to effective treat and prevent occurrence of cracked heels.