Whiteheads refer to a type of acne that develops as the result of the accumulation of oil, dirt, and bacteria in pores of the skin. They are referred as “white” because the accumulation is never exposed to oxygen; otherwise, they would darken to be referred to as blackheads. Whiteheads in most cases develop on the chin and/or nose even though they can develop on any part of the skin under which fat gets deposited.
Development of whiteheads is associated with various factors including hormonal changes, use of skin care products with harmful ingredients to skin, excess oil in the skin, dead skin and bacterial infection among other factors.
While conventional skin products including medications are available that are used to treat whiteheads, several home remedies are also readily available that are effective in getting rid of the same.
1. Fenugreek Leaves
Just in the same way that Fenugreek is good for re-growth of hair so it is for getting rid of whiteheads. It is rich in mineral and various nutrients that help to remove any blemishes on the skin.
How to use Fenugreek Leaves :
- Get a bunch of Fenugreek leaves, You can easily find them in your local grocery store.
- Boil the leaves slightly to make them soft.
- Pound the leaves in a clean container to form a paste.
- Add a reasonable amount of water to the paste to make it sticky.
- Apply the paste on areas of affected and let the paste on for at least 20 minutes before removing.
The best time to do this is before going to bed. This is because you should not wash the affected area. You only need to wash the area the following morning when the skin has absorbed all the beneficial nutrients.
Make use of Fenugreek leaves for at least a week to get rid of whiteheads.
2. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is well known to contain vitamin C, which is very effective against bacteria. It also contains varied other nutrients that help to address whiteheads.
How to use Lemon Juice :
- Obtain a ripe lemon and slice it into two pieces.
- Squeeze the two pieces in a glass to obtain the juice.
- Strain the juice to obtain a clear juice.
- Use a cotton wool to apply the juice on areas of your skin affected by whiteheads. Consider doing this for at least a week for best results.
Oatmeal is widely used in the making of soap and for good reason. Not only does it have antibacterial properties; it is also very effective in removing dead skin.
How to use Oatmeal and Yogurt :
- Buy oatmeal powder and unflavored yogurt.
- Measure a cup of yogurt before adding in a reasonable amount of Oatmeal powder.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly before using cotton wool to apply it on areas of your skin affected by whiteheads.
- Leave it on for at least 20 minutes before washing. Do this the first thing in the morning and before going to bed for at least three days to get rid of whiteheads.
Like with Oatmeal, Sandalwood is widely used in the making of soaps and skin care products. It contains varied amounts of minerals that benefit the skin directly. Indeed, Sandalwood is very effective in removing unnecessary oil fro the skin, which goes a long way to eliminating whiteheads.
How to use Sandalwood :
- Get Sandalwood powder, petals of rose flower and water.
- Pound the petals to form a paste.
- Put the paste in a cup before adding a reasonable amount of water.
- Give the paste time to release its nutrients into the water before straining to obtain a clear solution.
- Add in the Sandalwood powder and mix to obtain a paste. Apply the paste on areas affected and leave it on for at least 10 minutes. Remove the paste and wash with warm water. Do this for at least a week to effectively get rid of whiteheads.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a very powerful remedy for many illnesses and health conditions. It has antibacterial properties and is rich in varied other beneficial components.
How to use Apple cider vinegar :
- Mix a spoonful of apple cider vinegar with a reasonable amount of water to form a paste.
- Mix it well to obtain a smooth paste.
- Use a piece of cotton wool to apply the paste on areas of your skin affected by whiteheads.
- Leave the paste on for at least 15 minutes before washing off with warm water. Do this for at least a week to get rid of whiteheads.
Sugar is very effective in exfoliating the skin, which helps to open up clogged skin pores. Although sugar, honey is a powerful antibacterial agent that serves to kill any bacteria in your skin pores. You can easily get rid of whiteheads by making use of this combination.
How to use Sugar & Honey :
- Measure a reasonable amount of sugar with a reasonable amount of honey to form a paste.
- Apply the paste on areas of your skin affected by whiteheads. Rub the paste gently in a circular motion.
- This serves to exfoliate the skin in addition to rubbing in the beneficial nutrients.
Use this combination daily for at least a week to address whiteheads.
7. Steaming/Natural Oil
Steaming your face serves to cleanse your skin, which also helps to eliminate whiteheads. The inclusion of natural oil is also beneficial considering that the steam will contain some of the beneficial nutrients.
How to use Natural Oils :
- Boil at least three cups of water.
- Add in a reasonable amount of any natural oil you can find.
- Remove the container from heat and bend over the container for your face to absorb the steam while covering your head with a towel.
- Let your facial skin to absorb the steam for at least 10 minutes before patting your face with the towel to dry. Do this at least once every day for a week to get rid of whiteheads.
8. Lime Juice/Coconut Oil
Lime juice is similar to lemon juice. It also contains powerful antioxidants that serve to kill any bacteria causing whiteheads. It is also very effective in eliminating excess oil in the skin. Coconut is known for being one of the best natural oils rich in minerals and some vitamins.
How to use Coconut oil & Lemon juice :
- Mix lime juice with a reasonable amount of coconut oil.
- Stir to obtain a uniform solution.
- Apply the solution to areas of your skin affected by whiteheads.
- Allow the solution to set in for at least 20 minutes. Do this once a day for a week to get rid of whiteheads.
These are just a few of the many home remedies you can use to get rid of whiteheads. They are not only affordable but are also readily available.