Ear infection is simply an infection in the ear. Although ear infection mainly occurs in children, adults too remain at risk of suffering from an infection of the ear.
However, having an earache does not necessarily mean that you have an ear infection. You can have an earache as the result of swimming. Ear infection involves infection of the tympanic membrane within the ear, causing severe pain and discomfort.
Most ear infections occur when the fluid within the ear does not drain, which creates a good environment for germs to thrive. Interestingly, most ear infections are caused by fungi and not bacteria. This simply means that antibiotic medications do not work to treat ear infections. Luckily, there are several home remedies that are effective in treating an ear infection.
Home Remedies for Ear Infection :
Massage is employed in the treatment of various health conditions. Massaging the exterior part of the affected ear and around the neck region serves to enhance the flow of blood, which facilitates normal drainage of trapped fluid.
Consider using diluted rosemary, tea tree, thyme and eucalyptus oil to massage the area around the affected ear.
2. Cod Liver Oil
This is a remedy that works best for children with an ear infection. Cod Liver Oil contains sufficient amount of vitamin A, which in addition to being helpful for other body processes serves to help improve ear mechanism.
Consider giving cod liver oil to a child with an ear infection as indicated on the package.
Salt is a very effective remedy for ear infection.
How to use Salt for Ear infections :
- Heat a reasonable amount of salt.
- Remove from fire and allow it to cool slightly.
- Wrap the warm salt in a clean cloth and place the cloth on the affected ear.
- Let it rest on the ear allow for absorption of the nutrients by the ear.
Do this at least once every day to clear an ear infection.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a remedy for many illnesses and health conditions. It is rich in varied minerals and has anti-inflammatory properties.
How to use Apple Cider Vinegar for Ear Infections :
- Mix a reasonable amount of vinegar with water.
- Stir the mixture to obtain a uniform solution.
- Soak and cotton ball in the resultant solution and place the cotton inside the affected ear.
- Allow the cotton ball to rest in the affected ear for several minutes before removing.
- Lie down with the other ear facing down to allow for drainage of any trapped fluid. Do this at least once per day until the infection clears.
Onion is rich in vitamins and some mineral that are beneficial in the treatment of ear infection.
How to use :
- Chop a piece of onions and heat it in a bowl.
- Remove it from fire and squeeze the cooked onion pieces to obtain onion juice.
- Strain the juice to obtain a clear juice. Allow it to cool completely before putting drops into the affected ear.
- Leave the juice in for several minutes before lying down with the other ear facing down to allow the juice to flow out. Do this at least once per day to clear an ear infection.
Garlic is effective as a pain reliever. It also has powerful antimicrobial properties that clear ear infection.
How to use Garlic for Ear Infections :
- Boil about two cloves of garlic in a small amount of water.
- Remove the garlic and crush them to obtain garlic juice, which contains garlic oil.
- Strain the juice to obtain a clear juice. Allow it to cool completely. Use the juice as an ear drop to clear an ear infection.
Ear infection can be very painful and it is only appropriate that you take necessary steps to treat it at the earliest opportunity. These remedies are readily available and should clear ear infection caused by either bacteria or fungi.